Friday, June 05, 2009

A memorial weekend (AKA picture overload)

Memorial Day weekend was our first trip camping. After work on Friday, we started our travels to Hickory Run State Park in White Haven, PA. Nathan and I were both excited to get there and couldn't wait for Mom and Dad to get the camper set up.

Once we got it all up and ready to go, it was time for me to read my books for bedtime. I tried to read to Nathan but he was too busy being a silly boy. Last year, Nathan was very interested in seeing the books and he would just sit and listen. No chance that he'll do that now.Before bed snuggles with Daddy!
The next day, it was off the the amphitheater to listen to Megan (the naturalist) talk about animal fur. We got to touch all of the ones that were on the table.
Nathan loved the fox fur. He cuddled with it like a teddy bear.
I liked the bear. Especially his paws and rough feet.
When we got back to camp, something wasn't going my way. So, I went to find my pouting tree. I stood here until Mom was able to compromise with me.
Nathan was getting stinky after a few days without a bath. It just seemed that every little piece of dirt, pollen, or food was sticking to him. So, Mom had enough and gave him a quick scrub in the utility sinks.
He did his best "rocker pose" when we got back to our campsite. Thank goodness the sun was shining and he had a chance to warm up.
Here's our site all set up. We had some visitors too. Uncle Tony and Aunt Mindy pitched their tent right behind us.
We all took a trip over to Boulder Field. This was Mindy and Tony's first trip over and we think that they liked it. Mindy could have done without the huge spiders on the rocks but she did just fine.
Just some more pictures of us all posing on the big rocks.
Uncle Tony helped me run all over the place. If he got too far ahead of me, I just yelled and told him to come back and get me.

What a cute couple.
Mommy and her boys!
All of Mommy's boys! Nathan sat on the rocks and did his best thinking. (Well, he may have been leaving a little present for Mom to clean up)
Back at the camp, it was time for a snack. One of the only ways to keep Nathan still was to put him in a box. If we didn't do this, he would take off running for the road.
I made some friends at the next campsite. There were 5 kids of all ages and we played very well together. I didn't want to go alone, so I took Nathan's hand and brought him with me. Eventually Nathan wandered back over to our camper and I stayed to play monster trucks with the kids.
Gigi Pa took us for some wagon rides to say hi to some of his friends.
I found a caterpillar.
We got quite friendly.
More walks with Gigi Pa in the woods. He knows this place pretty well.
Family walk time. As Nathan was doing Mom's hair, we posed for a family shot!
Grammy played with us on this fallen tree. It worked a lot like a seesaw.
I got a little tired and took a rest on the bench.
A trip to Hawk Falls means another new adventure for Tony and Mindy. Nathan and I had never been there either. Instead of taking the bridge, Tony and I went across the old way. We made it without getting wet.
I had a great time playing in the water and getting my feet wet.
Grammy helped me navigate the rocks.
Nathan didn't like the cold water so he stayed on the rocks.
Mom and her babe enjoying some warm sunshine (and dressed like twins)!
I was loving the water until I fell in. I didn't listen to Mom and Dad's words and I took off running. I slipped on the rocks where it dropped off into some deeper water. Dad had all of the cameras in his hands, Mom was holding Nathan and Mindy and Tony weren't close. The only one left to save me was Grammy. As she was getting into the water, she slipped and fell too. We were both soaking wet but unharmed in the end.
Mom and Dad said that I did very well and used the skills that I had learned in my swimming classes. When I was pulled out of the water, I wasn't even gasping for air. I held my breath like a big boy. I was just shocked that I fell in and it was REALLY cold.
On our trip back to the car, we saw some butterflies getting a drink of water from the mud.
We had a good beach trip. Grammy and Grandpa Bob took us over. This was Nathan's first real encounter with sand. (OCMD trip from 2008 doesn't really count because he was only about 6 months old). This time he understood that he could play in it. He's not really a fan of getting dirty so he didn't really do much with it.
Me, I made puddles and jumped in them. I didn't care about getting dirty because this was fun!
We took the scenic route back to the campsite and this is what we found. This frog was making all kinds of noise. There were other frogs around doing the same thing. And, if you look closely in the water, you can see little black specks. These specks are baby tadpoles.
Night time meant fun with sparklers. This shot is a 15 second shot of me making my sparkler designs.
It was so nice to sit outside before bedtime. I got to bring my blanket outside and snuggle with Mommy. I fell asleep like this two nights in a row.
Our last day at Hickory Run, we went back over to the Amphitheater and learned about trees. Nathan wasn't interested in learning. His favorite thing to do was climb up on the benches and play balance beam. He was pretty good at it too.
Before we were completely ready to go, we made one last trip to the store. We needed another popsicle before we left. Nathan stole Mom's root beer flavored twin pop and claimed it as his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment